Learn about the benefits of custom-made dental caps for Quincy, MA area residents
Dental crowns, or “caps,” are common dental restorations that are used in many areas of dentistry. Dr. Stephen Matarazzo and his staff work regularly with patients to help them obtain custom-made restorations for the teeth and encourages patients to ask about the fabrication and placement of dental crowns.
What is a dental crown?
A crown commonly referred to by patients as a dental “cap” is a restoration made to bond over the top of a tooth to protect and strengthen it. This is often done when patients experience a large cavity or have undergone procedures such as root canal therapy. These treatments can leave a tooth’s remaining structure weak and susceptible to damage. By adding a dental crown, the tooth is further protected and can function properly, for chewing and biting efficiency.
What are the benefits of dental crowns?
Dental crowns are:
What can I expect when obtaining dental crowns?
Below are the following steps for obtaining dental crowns:
- Consultation. First, patients will consult with Dr. Stephen Matarazzo to determine if they are an appropriate candidate for a dental crown.
- Appointment. An appointment is made for the preparations.
- Prepare. In preparing the tooth for a dental crown, the surrounding enamel is removed to ensure the crown does not add extra bulk.
- Impressions. Molds are taken of the prepared tooth and are sent to a dental laboratory for fabrication of the final dental crown.
- Placement. Patients return to the dental office when the crown is complete to have it bonded in place.
- Care. Patients are educated on how to care for their dental crown to extend its longevity and ensure many years of protection.
Are you in need of a dental crown?
Dr. Stephen Matarazzo has experience in providing care for new and current patients of his practice and can offer reconstructive and cosmetic dentistry procedures that can improve patient self-confidence and smile function. If you reside in the area of Quincy, MA, you are welcome to ask about custom-made dental crowns for teeth. Call (617) 405-3939 today and speak with our team about your options.Back to Dental Crowns Page