Your dentist in Quincy MA offers tips for avoiding cavities
At the heart of a gorgeous smile is oral health. Cavities are tiny dental problems that can lead to intense pain and extensive damage, even the loss of teeth if not treated. Dr. Matarazzo and our caring dental team use the latest technology to quickly identify cavities and provide suitable restorations that will last for many years. As our ancestors taught us, however, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
Part of our job as your family dental team is to help you and your family enjoy healthy, beautiful smiles with preventative care. This includes finding ways to promote healthy teeth, and avoid cavities.
- Brushing and rushing don't mix. It is recommended that at least two minutes be reserved for teeth brushing, at least twice a day.
- To reach nooks and crannies, the toothbrush should be held at a 45-degree angle at the gum line.
- Talk with your dentist about recommended toothpastes and oral care products based on your unique oral health requirements.
- Both manual and electric toothbrushes clean well. Choose whichever type is easiest for you to use.
- Flossing is a vital activity for oral health. Skipping this step leaves part of each tooth untouched and, therefore, not cleaned. Lack of flossing could lead to cavities between teeth.
- Oral irrigators, like the Waterpik, can help the cleansing process, especially for those who wear braces, and for children. This step in oral care does not replace brushing or flossing.
- Chewing sugar-free gum that contains xylitol can help remove bacteria when brushing cannot be performed after a meal. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener that, in studies, has been shown to be a cavity-fighter.
- Trading packaged snacks for healthy, fresh foods leads to better oral and general health. Since both bones and teeth are composed of calcium, the consumption of calcium-rich foods benefits both. Teeth also benefit from fresh fruits and vegetables, especially those that are crunchy, like celery. Crunchy varieties naturally scrape plaque from teeth.
- Water, as the drink of choice, rinses teeth and keeps the tissues in the mouth hydrated. Water is also one of the least acidic beverages you can drink. Common beverages such as soda and even bottled teas are extremely acidic, wearing down the protective layer of enamel and leading to cavities.
The care of teeth and gums is a team effort. Dr. Matarazzo is your dentist in Quincy, MA who carefully evaluates your mouth, treats problems, and guides you in at-home oral hygiene. Create your best smile with a skilled, compassionate dental team. Contact us for your appointment today.
- Quincy Family Dental - Quincy Smile Center provides family dental care for everyone
- Emergency Dental Care near me - Do I need to seek emergency dental care near me for a missing crown or filling?
- Smile Makeover Quincy MA - Procedures used during a Quincy, MA Smile Makeover
- Dental Implants Quincy MA - Dental implants from your Quincy Dentist offer several benefits
- Dentist Quincy MA - Your dentist in Quincy MA offers tips for avoiding cavities
- Dentistry Services in Quincy MA - High-tech Dentistry Services in Quincy, MA can give you a healthier smile
- 02169 Dentist - Do you live in zip code 02169 and want your healthiest smile? See your Dentist for mercury-free fillings
- Stephen Matarazzo DMD - Stephen Matarazzo D.M.D. is your partner for optimal oral health
«Back to Home Page