When should you call an Emergency Dental Office?
Like most emergencies in life, urgent dental problems seem to strike at the most inconvenient times. At the dental practice of Dr. Stephen Matarazzo in Quincy, Massachusetts, our office is fully equipped to treat dental emergencies, so you can get out of pain and back to your daily life as quickly as possible.
What is a dental emergency?
Dental emergencies can affect anyone at any time. In general, we consider a dental emergency anything that is causing you significant pain or could compromise your long-term oral health or overall wellness if treatment is not provided as quickly as possible.
Signs that you need urgent dental care
A wide variety of dental issues can occur that require immediate treatment to preserve the health of your natural teeth and gums and to prevent larger problems from developing. Some common dental emergencies include:
- A knocked-out tooth, which has the potential to be reinserted if treated quickly
- Severe tooth pain that is not alleviated by over-the-counter pain medications
- Broken teeth, which can cause pain and bacterial infiltration
- Abscess or infection in a tooth, which must be treated rapidly to prevent the spread of infection to the rest of the body
- Excessive bleeding in the gums, particularly when it is accompanied by pain or swelling
- Swelling in the jaw, which can signal infection, gum disease, or even cancer in rare cases
- Broken or lost dental restoration, which can leave your tooth vulnerable to fractures and infection
If you are unsure whether your dental problem constitutes an emergency, we encourage you to call us! Our team of dental professionals will talk through your symptoms to help you determine how quickly you need to seek care and will give you information on how to manage your symptoms until you can come into the office.
Dental emergency? Don’t wait!
In many dental emergencies, seeking immediate care can make the difference between saving and losing a tooth or suffering other long-term oral health complications. If you are experiencing a dental emergency, the dental practice of Dr. Stephen Matarazzo is here to help. You can reach our Quincy, MA office at (617) 405-3939.
Share this Article
Back to Emergency Dentistry Page